This is another recipe adapted from the child care menu planning resource the state of Delaware put together.
Originally called “Strawberry Jumpin’ French Toast” it calls for strawberries, but I didn’t have any on hand so I used blueberries instead. I’ve made it with strawberries also, and both versions are delicious! What amazes me most about this recipe is how sweet it is, even though you don’t add any sugar or honey to the French Toast or fruit topping.
Oven Baked French Toast with Berries – Recipe in Pictures
As usual, I didn’t follow the recipe exactly. I don’t color in the lines either, and I’ve been known to run with scissors too. I’ve included the official recipe at the end, but here’s my version:
Cube the bread and place in the bottom of a lightly greased 9×9″ pan. Mine came from my grandma and is obviously well-loved.
Whisk together 2 whole eggs, 1 cup milk, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Pour over bread cubes. Gently toss to make sure all cubes are moistened.
Place in oven and bake at 350° F for about 20 minutes, or until the center isn’t gooshy.
While the bread mixture is baking, place frozen blueberries or strawberries in a saucepan to thaw and warm.
Cut the baked French Toast into equal pieces and top with 1/2 cup berries.
“What do you think, Peanut?”
She likes it!
Hey Mikey! I mean Hey Peanut! Remember that Life cereal commercial?
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll bet just about any fruit would be delish on top of this baked French Toast. If you try another fruit be sure to tell me what you think!
Oven Baked French Toast with Berries – Official Recipe
This recipe is written for seven child-sized servings, but you can easily double the recipe by doubling the ingredients. Using the amounts below I served four children “seconds” and they gobbled it up!
Ingredients for Oven Baked French Toast with Berries
- 7 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 4 cups plain strawberries
- Optional cottage cheese or yogurt
Directions to Make Oven Baked French Toast with Berries
- Cube the bread and arrange on the bottom of a lightly greased 9×13″ pan.
- Whisk together the egg whites, milk, and margarine. Pour mixture evenly over bread cubes.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Thaw strawberries and warm in saucepan.
- Cut casserole into even servings.
- Top each serving with 1/2 cup strawberries. Top with cottage cheese or yogurt, if desired.
Oven Baked French Toast Nutrition Facts
According to the original recipe, if made using the ingredients above, 1 serving will 1/7 of the whole pan, and will contain 135 calories (30 from fat), 3g total fat, 3g fiber, and 7g sugar. Making it a la Amy Sue will change the nutrition information, but will be just as tasty!
Happy healthy baking!… and eating!