If you’re scrambling for a last minute gift, this microwave caramel corn is the answer! Not only is it the yummiest caramel corn I’ve ever tasted, making it is SO quick and easy that you can whip some up tonight and gift it tomorrow. I’ve given it to classroom teachers, Sunday School teachers, hair stylists, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. But I won’t make it for us because it’s so good I’d eat the whole batch myself.
Microwave Caramel Corn Recipe in Pictures
You’ll need popped popcorn, light Karo syrup, butter the real stuff; not margarine, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
Divide the popcorn into two microwave safe bowls.
Put the butter, brown sugar, Karo syrup and salt into a microwave safe bowl.
Stir to break up the brown sugar.
Microwave 2 1/2 minutes.
The butter should be melted, but the sugar may not be dissolved.
Stir to combine. Microwave another 30 seconds to bring the mixture to a boil.
If you have any kiddos helping, now’s the time to have them stand back and just watch. The caramel gets wicked hot and could cause nasty burns. Have them help again when it’s time to package the cooled caramel corn.
Microwave to boil 3 more minutes.
Stir in the baking soda.
Pour half the mixture over each bowl of popcorn.
Now it gets a little tricky… Stir one bowl of popcorn, then put it in the microwave and cook it for 1 minute. While the first bowl is cooking, stir the second bowl. When the first bowl is done, put the second in the microwave and cook it for 1 minute, stirring the first bowl while the second is cooking.
Continue to alternate cooking/stirring bowls until each bowl has cooked 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 minutes.
Cool. I spread the caramel corn on a pan so it cools more quickly.
Put into pretty holiday containers for gifting – no wrapping required!
Microwave Caramel Corn – the Official Recipe
This recipe came from my Mom and has been a family favorite for years. I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!
Microwave Caramel Corn Ingredients
- 16 C popped corn, divided
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C butter
- 1/4 C light Karo syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Microwave Caramel Corn Directions
- Divide corn between 2 4qt microwave safe bowls.
- Mix brown sugar, butter, Karo syrup and salt in 2 1/2 qt microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave 2 1/2 minutes. Stir
- Bring the mixture to a boil by microwaving 30 more seconds.
- Microwave 3 minutes. The mixture should be boiling these 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and stir in baking soda.
- Immediately pour half the mixture over each bowl of popcorn.
- Stir the first bowl, then put in microwave and cook for 1 minute.
- While the first bowl is cooking, stir the second bowl, then put in the microwave and cook for 1 minute.
- Continue to alternate bowls; stirring one while the other is cooking, until both bowls have cooked for a total of 2 1/2 – 3 1/2 minutes. Don’t overcook or the caramel will burn.
- Cool, stirring frequently.
Let me know what you think, and who you gifted it to!